Wednesday, November 30, 2011

five minutes or less

I have exactly five minutes or less to type this little post, brush my teeth, gather my things, and head to my little elementary school library. A responsible adult would probably skip the type-this-little-post part, but I'm neither responsible nor an adult (you don't become those things 'til you're 30, right?), so here me are, mateys.

There's just a little somethin' somethin' I want to share:

I. LOVE. MY. JOB!

Yay! How exciting is that? Sure, I want to sleep late every morning and I am always running through the doors right on time but, once I'm there, I'm loving it.

I love that I get to see ALL the kids in the school. From Pre-K up to 5th grade... I get to know all of them. They may only come in for thirty minutes each week (and of course, quick random trips throughout the week) but it's just enough time. I hope that the little time I'm able to spend with them is time that they feel encouraged, motivated, and loved. But they also know I mean business - I don't let them get away with anything and there's a certain few that I keep a special eye on throughout the day, always checking on them and asking, "What color are you on today?". ;)

And I love the teachers and staff there. Every single person has been friendly and welcoming. That has been a blessing in and of itself. I've step foot in many schools where no one even takes a second to speak to you. I feel like I'm a part of the team, and I appreciate it so much.

God knew what he was doing this whole time... this whole journey of unemployment and feelings of failure and rejection were worth getting to this point. I never expected to be in the position I'm in now, but I absolutely love it. And I'm wondering if it's what I should have been doing all along.

To apply for library [grad] school or not.... that is now the question.

3 comments:

  1. You can do it! I think going back now while we're still in "school mode" is much easier than going back later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know if you are applying at UA! That's part of the college I work for, and I'll be glad to give you a good reference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow!!! I didn't know you worked for them! My biggest 2 hurdles are this: 1) Financial aid - I already racked up some hefty loans for undergrad and 2) I don't want to be stuck as a school librarian - those jobs can be hard to find, so I don't want to limit myself (Like, I wouldn't mind working at a public library).

    But, I love it... I am about 99% sure that this is what I'll go back to grad school for, either now or in the near future. I just love it!!

    ReplyDelete