Tuesday, August 16, 2011

own it

Yesterday was my first day to teach Pre-K all by myself. I have a class of eleven kids, and they're mine... all mine. Well, at least until 12pm. At first, I really didn't know what to think about being a "preschool teacher". I had various stereotypes in my head of what a "preschool teacher" looks like, and wasn't exactly sure how to feel about becoming one of the brave.

Let me just say, I think I was born to teach Pre-K. Well, really, I was just born to teach. I tend to fall in love with whatever grade I am placed in (I loved EVERY grade I interned in!), but this is FOR REAL. These are my kiddos for the next nine months.

It's exciting! It isn't at all what I had in mind when I set out on this crazy journey of earning my teaching certificate, but I am loving it. Since the kids are little and there isn't a mandated curriculum, I have a lot of creative freedom. I follow a loose schedule of focus skills (letters, writing our names, counting, etc.) and then put my creative spin on how to teach them and how to practice them. We sing songs and do dances and repeat "I listen with my eyes and my ears" about a dozen times a day. :)

It's official. I'm a preschool teacher. Gotta own it.

No comments:

Post a Comment