Thursday, January 1, 2015

Taking the 2015 Bull by the Horns

If I can sum up 2014 in just a phrase, I would sum it up like this: "It. Was. Hard." 

Not unbearably hard... just unusually difficult. All year long was sort of like swimming in mud. We're moving, we're tired, we're doing something... but we aren't getting very far. And that's okay. We all have years like that. Years that just aren't. Years that just wear us out. 

So many crazy things happened in 2014 that half of the year, I felt like I had whiplash! But in the midst of all those crazy moments, I had my rock-solid husband, my beautiful baby girl, parents and in-laws who love us, and family and friends to cheer us up. I definitely don't want to sound all Debbie Downer about 2014... but it was just a difficult year and I'm glad it's over. 

So let's move on to 2015! 

The biggest realization I had in 2014 is that I have made most of my decisions in life based on fear. I don't take most decisions very lightly, especially now that I am a parent, and I end up going the safe route rather than being in the moment. I'm such a goal-oriented person that I am letting goals I can't even control rule my decisions today. In some ways, that's a good thing. {Like, it's a good thing we didn't buy that bedroom suite on a whim the other day when all we were looking for was some night stands...} It's good to think ahead and not be flippant when making big decisions. 

But, there's also a time and place to embrace today. To just say... you know what? Today I am going to enjoy what I have here and now. To throw the plan out the window and make memories without regret, to have so much fun you forget to take pictures, to take a risk and enjoy the feeling when you realize the risk was worth it. 

So that's my outlook for 2015 - I'm ready to face the year head on with a fresh new perspective. In 2014, I did not let the peace of Christ rule in my heart. But this year, my prayer is that His peace and joy will rule in my heart no matter what the year throws at me. 

Also, I'm going to be 30 this year!!! THIRTY! Like... three decades old! I am excited about entering a new decade, but I'm also honestly really sad about leaving my 20's. This has been a great decade filled with lots of huge life-changing moments. I won't get too into those because I have until August 18 to bore my blog readers with birthday posts. :) But, I think that big number looming out there is a reminder to me that this is IT! This is my life! It may not be playing out the way I thought it would at this current juncture, but my life is amazing! I have SO much to be thankful for! 

This year also has the potential to be a really big year for Blake. As all of you are aware, he's in graduate school. This year is the one we have been waiting for - the beginning of the end. This fall, Blake will be able to start applying for jobs and, Lord willing, he will graduate in the spring or summer of 2016. This exact time next year, he could be interviewing. Which will hopefully mean that he will begin a job in the fall of 2016. So when you ask me that dreaded question, "When will Blake be done?" My answer will now be "In about a year!!!" IN A YEAR, people!!! Of course, there is the chance we might not move until 2017 but that is okay. But we are that this year will open doors for Blake and usher him into the perfect first job for 2016. 

2015 definitely has the potential to be a great year. So I'm looking forward to see what lies ahead and I'm trusting God to give me the peace and joy to see His beauty in it all. 


Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. - Colossians 3:15

No comments:

Post a Comment