Saturday, January 21, 2012

Settling In

It's really strange to be done with college (for now). Every night, I feel guilty for spending time doing the things I love and not doing any "work". No papers to write, no projects to complete, no lessons to plan. I get all of my work done during the school day, so I don't have to take anything home with me. It's a strange, strange feeling.

This is really the first time in a LONG time that I've been able to relax even on a weeknight. Even during the time I was taking a break from school, I was working two jobs so there was always work to be done. Now I can come home, cook a yummy dinner, clean up, read, watch our shows, do housework... I can do whatever I want!

But, to be honest, I felt like I have squandered much of my free time. It's this back-and-forth struggle I have with the need to be productive. I work really hard during the day (7:45-5:00, usually) and so I usually come home and crash. There are things I want to do - like projects with our wedding photos, play with the Cricut, read Mockingjay, write blog posts that are more interesting, re-learn to play the ukelele, record music with Blake, clean our office closet.... and yet, those things go undone week after week. There are also places I want to go - to the Arboretum, the trail across the street from our apartment, downtown Northport... and yet, we never go to those places.

Part of the "going" places is actually just learning to adjust to living so close to everything! For my whole entire life, I lived thirty minutes away from everything, so we didn't go anywhere on a weeknight because it meant a long trip. Now that we live close to everything; I have to remind myself that we can just get in the car and be somewhere in 5-10 minutes.

I suppose I'm not the only person who has ever felt this way. If you're reading this, how do you conquer the weeknight slump? How do you convince yourself to get off the couch and go do something (at home or otherwise)? I need some motivation!

2 comments:

  1. Maybe I shouldn't comment, because I don't actually do anything on weeknights. Between Davis working until 9 several nights a week and my 2+ hours of driving every day, I just want to stay at home. But let me know if you find motivation and what the secret is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, most people don't do much on weeknights. But, last night I went to yoga & tonight we are going to choir/orchestra practice for church. So maybe those will help get me motivated! My BIGGEST issue is trying to do chores on the weeknights - that's where I really need to get disciplined! I absolutely hate having to spend half the day on Saturdays cleaning and I know if I would just spend 20-30 minutes a night doing chores, I could rest most of Saturday. I'll get there! Getting offline now to go unload the dishes and fold laundry before I leave for work.... whew. I am tired already!

    ReplyDelete