Monday, January 16, 2012

Hiding

We started this year with a goal: Read the Bible chronologically in 2012. We're over halfway through Genesis, but I am stuck in the 3rd chapter.

As we all know, the story of the world begins with God's words. Let there be light; Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants, and yielding seed...; Let the earth bring forth living creatures...Let us make man in our imagine, after our likeness... And He creates the world and all the things in it. He creates Adam and Eve and blesses them. He gives them everything they could possibly need, including a warning to stay away from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

And when the serpent comes along, they fall.

Glorious creation, majesty, wonder, love, splendor. And sin.

But that's not the part where I'm stuck. I'm stuck in the aftermath of Adam and Eve's poor decision. I'm stuck in their reaction to the guilt.

"And they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden. But the Lord God called to the man and said to him, "Where are you?" And he said, "I heard the sound of you in the garden and I was afraid, because I was naked, and I hid myself." Genesis 3:9-10


They were hiding from God.

I think about the times I have hidden from God. Exposed; doing anything I can to cover it up. There are times when I wish God would just turn his face away and leave me in my guilt. It's too hard to face him, too hard to accept responsibility, too hard to suffer the consequences.

This brings me to Psalm 51, my prayer for this year. That God would expose my sin to me. I so often fail to admit to it, to acknowledge it, and to ask for forgiveness for it. I try to hide from him and wait until he asks me about it, just as Adam and Eve did in the garden. But I want to be forthcoming - not hiding from him because I will inevitably be found. I want to come boldly to his throne and spew the contents of my sin so that I can get it out. Spit it out like poison, like the bitter root that it is. Lay it on the cross, seek forgiveness, chase repentance. And, in return, be clothed in the righteousness of Christ.

"Hide your face from my sin, and blot out my iniquities. Create in me a clean heart and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and uphold me with a willing spirit." - Psalm 51:9-11

No comments:

Post a Comment