Saturday, May 28, 2011

Good Advice

There are times in life where we are pulled a thousand different directions, with no clear and concise "yes" or "no". Everything seems possible, yet nothing seems perfect. We grasp at straws, we wrestle with logic, we seek for answers. And we are forced to make a decision.

If you are like me, you have been in this situation time and time again. There is a problem, and no solution fits neatly into the puzzle. You try and try and try to work something out, but there's always a "but." This could work, but.... I know it seems crazy, but... It is a risk, but... Too many times, I have tried to make the piece fit, smashing the answer into my life and hurting myself in the process.

In this current season of life, I am learning so much about waiting on the Lord. Waiting for His response, waiting for His provision, waiting for Him to speak. The waiting period is difficult, and it is humbling. But, how do you know when to wait and when to move? How do you know when you should use your talents, knowledge, and wisdom to take a chance? How do you know when you simply need to sit still?

I'm a smart girl, and I can generally make good decisions. God has granted me the ability to make wise choices using His scripture as a guide, and sometimes He requires me (and you) to go forward without knowing the "next step". But, there are also those times where my brain gets in the way of God's instructions to wait. I try to make things happen on my own, getting too caught up in the possibilities. And I end up hurt, confused, and angry in the end.

The best advice I ever received (and I can't remember who it came from), was simply this: "Follow peace." Life-changing advice.

When I come to a crossroads, I follow peace. And if I can't find peace, I wait. There have been times when I jumped, not knowing how I'd land - because God gave me the peace to go forward. And there have been times when I waited patiently (or impatiently) at the fork in the road, waiting for God to speak. Going to college, for instance, was a huge jump. But, God gave me peace and He made an abundance of provisions along the way. Dating a guy after I heard clearly from the Lord that we did not need to continue dating, was also a huge jump. I did not have peace about it, and it ended in disaster.

God is the author of peace, not confusion (1 Cor. 14:33). We have probably quoted that verse to other people, but do we really believe it? Do we continue to try to make things happen on our own, or do we first seek the peace of God before we move?

Waiting isn't inactive. It's proactive. It's time to spend with the Lord, time to communicate with Him, time to trust Him, time to believe in Him.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, thanksgiving, present your requests to God; and the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your heart and your mind in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:6-7

1 comment: