Thursday, June 24, 2010

Why my mom is awesomer than yours.

I just need to preface this by saying that I don't know whether my mom will read this or not and it might be awkward if she does. Because... if you have ever met my mom and seen us interact, you know that we are not sweet and sappy people! More often than not, we are constantly giving each other a hard time and [lovingly] cracking jokes with each other.

Lately, I have been reminded of just what a gift I have in my mom. I have always loved her and known that she is truly an incredible mom, but sometimes I get reminded of just how incredible she is. The past month or two has been one of those times.

Mom and I have certainly been through many, many rough patches - some were so bad that I never thought we could reconcile. But, what Satan meant for evil, God meant for good! Those difficult times shaped us as individuals and shaped our relationship. I am so thankful to say that things are better than ever and I have recently been reminded on a daily basis just how fortunate I am to have been given Mary Kathryn Lewis as my mother.

One of the things I have always loved about my mom is that I have always wanted to tell her everything - even when I knew I would get in trouble! I have told on myself so many times - it's ridiculous! I have always appreciated how she will always listen, even when I ramble about nonsense at 7am. But, even better than that - I truly can tell my mom anything. When my feelings are hurt, I tell her. When I disagree, I tell her. All in love, of course, and within the boundaries I have as a daughter, but... I can still tell her. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't have to "fake it" in front of my mom in order to make her happy. I don't have to hide things from her or walk on eggshells around her. I don't have to do certain things or say certain things to please her. She is pleased with my honesty, and that is what I love the most.

See? My mom is awesomer than yours. Okay, maybe not, but she is definitely awesome. She has really taught me how to be true to myself - in a good selfish way, not bad selfish. She is a fantastic lady and her boyfriend isn't too bad, either. :)

So, Mom, if you're reading this - you rock! And, no, this is not an attempt for me to sweet talk my way to $100. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment