Friday, June 11, 2010

New Kitten Makes Monumental Discovery


I don't have a kid (yet), but I do have three animals. That's got to count for something, right!? Well... since all I have is animals, I feel that it is only right for me to update my blog about new kitten's (that would be Elaine) progress!

She has gained at least 1 pound, maybe even 1 1/2 lbs. She is eating cat food like crazy!! She refuses to eat her kitten food, even though it is the SAME EXACT THING that Charlie (big cat) eats - only in smaller bites! So, no more purchasing kitten food, apparently. She and Arnold have become fast friends, too, which is a relief! He lets her play with his tail and is very patient with her. I honestly haven't seen as much of Arnold lately - I think he is actually learning that he can't always have all the attention! I feel bad for him, but he has been spoiled for the past four years. It's time to share the spotlight.

Elaine is in discovery mode, which is great and not great all at the same time. She has found all sorts of things to play with... things that I wish she wouldn't play with. :) But, that's part of being a kitten! She has yet to ruin anything - my main concerns being my curtains, shower curtain, and rugs - but she has been caught climbing and chewing on those things. I think I need to invest in a water bottle so I can squirt her when she's being mischievous!

But, the biggest discovery happened less than half an hour ago: she discovered that the mysterious flapping hole in the door to the garage leads somewhere.... into the garage!! She was following Charlie around and he tried to escape, but she followed him through the doggie door. I watched her investigate the garage and prayed she wouldn't find the second door that leads outside! I don't think she's big enough to wander outside by herself yet. We have a fence, but it is a chain-link fence, which she can easily fit through. For now, I'm going to have to close off the doggie doors until she gets a little bigger.

It's been 7 years since we've had a kitten in our house. I was really afraid that the beginning part would be a nightmare - getting clawed everyday, seeing all of my fabric get ruined, 5 a.m. wake ups (okay, that happens, but.... that's ok)... but it really has been fun! I kind of don't want her to grow up!

No comments:

Post a Comment