Thursday, April 5, 2012

the long & short of things

Let me just get one thing clear: I am about to write a post about my hair cut.

That's how much I love it. I look in the mirror at least five times a day thinking, Why didn't I do this sooner?


Technically, I did do this sooner. I had a similar short crop in 8th grade and in 2004. Neither of those 'do's did it for me, but this new cut for sure takes the cake.

My entire life, I have been a long-to-short kinda gal. As a kid, I liked to let it grow and then chop it all off and start all over again. It may be a LONG while before I go long again, but I'm sure I will do it again. I just like the excitement of seeing years' worth of grown hair fall prey to the cutting shears only to be swept away and thrown into the trash.

It's kinda like shedding skin.

The best part about this cut is that I can wash it at night and actually let it dry by itself and then style it the next morning. I have never been able to do that because my hair is so wavy!! I just figured this out a few months ago (I have had the cut since November), so I fell in love with my hair all over again. Cute, no-fuss, low-maintenance AND I can ditch the hair dryer!? Thank-you, hair girl!!!

I've also had some pretty awful hair experiences. That 8th grade short cut I mentioned? I went in asking for Meg Ryan's Sleepless In Seattle 'do:

 and ended up looking more like Britney Spears when she shaved off all her hair (okay, it was not that bad).


  I also let my best friend's sister "frost" my hair at home... hello, I have DARK BROWN hair. Frosting nearly-black hair was never cool. 


 Okay, okay. Rihanna makes it cool. 


But I like what I've got now... and apparently butterflies like it, too! Maybe they think I am some sort of beautifully coifed fairy!? :) 

Have you ever had an amazing/awful experience at the hair salon?? I wanna hear about it!!!

2 comments:

  1. When I was 17 I chopped my hair off to your length, But put hair spray on one side and made it kind of swoop over. It was bad for two reasons, 1. the fact that it was short. My face is so round short cuts DO NOT look good. I've tried to rock them several times throughout my life but have come to grips with the fact that long hair is the only way.I will have long hair for the rest of my life. 2. The swoop thing I did. I can't even describe it. I looked like a Dr. Seuss character. I recently have discovered I can wash my hair the night before too. I have to dry it before I go to bed so that sucks but dry shampoo has been my friend. How have I just now found out about that stuff, it really could have helped out in High School!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The swoop thing I never understood... I worked with a girl who swooped so much it seriously looked like she had a comb-over!! And, yes, dry shampoo is a girl's best friend!!! I tried baby powder as dry shampoo in high school - needless to say, that didn't look so hot with dark brown hair!! ;)

    ReplyDelete