Saturday, March 10, 2012

My Fred


I think it's safe for me to assume most everyone reading this already knows my dad passed away unexpectedly in 2006. The effects of ARDS over six years caused the organs in his body to lose function over time and they just couldn't keep up. I was devastated.

But my heart didn't hurt for just me. It also hurt for my mom, who lost her husband. I was so afraid that she would be alone for the rest of her life. Thankfully, God had other plans. :)

Over lunch at Panera in September 2009, my mom casually mentioned she had been on a date the night before. I was SHOCKED! Long story short... they got married this past September!

Now I have two new sisters (one of them is not pictured here), a new nephew, and a new niece. And, of course, a new dad. :) I don't call Fred my step-dad because I hate that word. I just call him "My Fred".  I could see Fred and my dad being buddies and I think my dad would be happy to know that Fred is taking care of my mom and our little family.

In many ways, Fred is a lot like my dad. Both a little goofy, both very, very intelligent, both very compassionate. Both a little shy, both a little reserved at times, both devoted to my mama.

Beyond just being fun to be around, Fred is passionate about spreading the Gospel. He is constantly - and I mean constantly - pursuing ways to tell people about Jesus. He knows SO much more about the Bible than I do - and Fred has only been a Christian for a little less than a decade. Can you believe that?? It's amazing what God has done in Him and I am so proud of the ministry God has given him.

When I glance at "new" family pictures, I am amazed at what God has done. Not only did God provide a new husband to keep my mom company, but he brought my mom back to life. Fred has made her happiness and joy bubble back to the surface.

And for me, I feel like I have been given a second chance with a new dad. I still mourn over the things my "real" dad doesn't get to experience as a father (and that I don't get to experience with him as a daughter). But God gave me a suitable replacement. Someone worthy to go through life being my dad from here on out. And I am oh-so-thankful.

Like any little girl, I always imagined my dad walking me down the aisle and giving me away at my wedding. When he died, his presence at my wedding was one of the first things I mourned. But when I got married last June, a different man stood beside my mom to give me away. His name was Fred. My Fred.

I apologize if you had to go grab a Kleenex!!

1 comment:

  1. Tears on a Monday morning are not uncommon...yet, is it uncommon that the tears be over a blog post! Thanks for sharing and for the tears :)

    ReplyDelete