Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Obligatory New Year's Post

It's a new year and I can't not write about it. I tried to stay away from writing this post, but it kept nagging at me. After blogging for nearly ten years, I'm practically required to write about the turning of the annual calendar.

At the end of 2011, I was rejoicing because the year was O-V-E-R. It was the toughest year in a long time. The wicked tornado that came through on April 27 radically changed the course of my life in just a matter of minutes. Our first months of marriage were scary, but everything ended up okay. I thought 2012 would be the year to really dig our heels in and enjoy the married life.

And for several months, 2012 was great! I had a great job and a permanent teaching position seemed definite. Until it wasn't. My contract with the board of education ended May 24 with no set-in-stone placement for the upcoming school year. And on May 26, I found out I was pregnant.

That should have been the happiest time of my life! But, it wasn't. I can't lie - although I was, of course, thrilled about being pregnant, I couldn't help but fear for how we were going to take care of this little life without me having a permanent job.

Interviews came and went... and deep down, I think word got around that I was preggo. I honestly can't think of any other reason why I went to so many interviews and got zero job offers. I had excellent recommendations, a 4.0 GPA, plenty of experience, and lots of heart... and I had a baby on board. But, it all worked out when I started applying at the University of Alabama. It took just a matter of days to get hired once I posted my application and I eventually was hired for a job that I love!! It's perfect for where we are in life and I love working for the University.

So, 2012 wasn't the year I thought it would be, but it was pretty amazing! We joined First Baptist and have loved getting involved there. We have formed lots of lasting friendships, met LOTS of new babies, and watched a bazillion movies. It's been a year of ups and downs... and of course, the best "up" was finding out we were pregnant!

As I look forward to 2013, there's really (of course) only one thing on my mind - meeting this little girl!! Her due date is TWENTY-FIVE days away. That's 3 1/2 weeks, folks! I'm trying to be patient, but it's oh-so-hard!!! Not much else seems that imporant now - just getting her here, taking care of her, and watching how she grows. Can't wait!

I can't say that I really have any resolutions this year. Usually I'm all about some goal-setting, but I think my resolution is to let go of goal-setting. Better yet, maybe I should take the word "productive" out of my vocabulary. I use that word frequently to beat myself up and I think it's just time I stop. It's great to be productive, to get things accomplished, and to have something to show for a day's work. But productivity can become an idol and in some ways, it definitely has become one in my own life. I judge my day based on how productive I was, which is just silly. Guess what? That's just silly.

So this year, I'm challenging myself to stop challenging myself. (Can I do that?) I'm just going to enjoy the wild ride that is parenthood and see how it goes. Take it easy and take it all in.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment