Sunday, October 17, 2010

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus,
There's just something about that name;
Master, Savior, Jesus,
Like the fragrance after the rain
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus
Let all Heaven and earth proclaim
Kings and kingdoms will all pass away
But there's something about that name

Bill Gaither - "There's Just Something About that Name"

I grew up listening to and adoring Southern Gospel music, thanks to my mom. Particularly, we enjoyed the lyrics and melodies of a little man named Bill Gaither, his quartet (the Gaither Vocal Band) and the Gaither Homecoming series (where a whole slew of Southern Gospel singers would get together for a night of music and singing). As a child, my favorite songs were "Criminal on the Cross," "He's Still Working on Me," and "Death Ain't No Big Deal." Oh, and don't let me forget, "Your First Day in Heaven!" I don't know what it was about the songs, but I loved them. I mean LOVED them. I loved "Criminal on the Cross" so much that I learned every quickly muttered word and begged my mom to play it over and over again!

Though those were some of the more cheesy songs, Bill Gaither and his crew have also put out a number of incredibly powerful hymns. The one typed above, for example, is one of my all-time favorite hymns. What an incredible Truth! There is something about that name. :)

I just can't help but love these old hymns and songs. Go ahead, hate on me if you want. One day you'll change your mind. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment