Monday, November 22, 2010

Hidden Treasure

Somewhere between teaching three days a week, eating Chick-fil-A regularly, and planning a wedding, I've left behind about fifteen pounds. Normally, this would be a great thing. Well, it is a great thing. I feel better and feel healthier, despite the Chick-fil-A. The problem, though, is that I am about to have an internship where I am required to dress up on a daily basis and none - and I do mean none - of my dress clothes fit anymore.

I've been wearing two pairs of pants that are literally two sizes to big and a pair of cute khaki pants that are a size too big. They're all too loose in the waist, which means now they're way too long. None of my dresses really fit anymore and the ones that do are far too dressy for school. I suppose if I had to, I could start wearing cocktail dresses to fourth grade, but I'm not sure the principal would like that!

Because I have changed sizes so much over the past few years, I keep a box of clothes that don't fit in my closet. I dug around in that box a few weeks ago and was excited to find several pairs of jeans once labeled "too small"! That was exciting - except that I can't teach in jeans! I really wanted/needed some new dress pants and skirts so that I could dress appropriately for my internship... and hopefully for my first job, as well!

So, am I writing this just to brag? No. I just needed to set the stage for what happened this weekend.

After debating for a few weeks, I decided to go to the consignment store on Friday to look for some new pants. I got a pair of nice Gap dress pants (that fit!) and two school-appropriate dresses (that fit!) at Deja Vu for about $50. I felt like that was a success! I went a few other places, but those were the only items I found. I was a little disappointed that I didn't find more, but I felt like it was a good start.

Then, yesterday, Blake and I went out to the storage shed to get the Christmas stuff out... and what did I see? A random box of clothes that I apparently set aside to donate to the Salvation Army. At first glance, it looked like clothes that I really didn't like... and then I started seeing some dress pants... khakis, corduroys, black pants... items I had forgotten about. So, I carried the box inside (while Blake carried all the Christmas boxes!) and quickly began trying on these new-found pants.

Well, whaddya know... EIGHT pairs of pants and a skirt were hiding in my storage shed!! They all fit perfectly (except for one pair, but they'll work for now). How incredible is that? I was immediately reminded of God's sovereign provisions... even something silly like dress pants are all part of God's perfect design. And for free... whew! That's the best part! Eight new pairs of pants and a skirt for ZERO dollars (well... I mean, I paid for them once before, but you get the point!)!

No comments:

Post a Comment