Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Thief of Joy

There's a recurring theme going around in mom-blog land lately - comparison. I can't tell you the times I've read the term "Pinterest-worthy birthday party" in a blog lately. Or how many times I've seen moms bashing other moms for keeping a clean house. Or how many times I've overheard moms begging other moms to stop looking "so cute and skinny". Or how many times I've been encouraged to "keep it real" by putting all my flaws and problems on display.

Seriously, enough already.

The problem is not that other women need to stop doing what they're doing.

The problem is that we need to stop doing what we're doing: comparing.

We have got to stop assuming that so-and-so has it all together because she does [insert something we're not good at] like a pro.

So what if some kid's mom throws a wicked awesome birthday party with creative names for each food item that match the theme of the party? So what if some woman has the fashion sense of Coco Chanel? So what if someone has a knack for organizing and has a clean home 99% of the time? So what if so-and-so buys her kids boutique clothes to wear every single day?

Stop focusing on them.

I could write a laundry list of the things about me that aren't so perfect, but I won't. Because really that's not your concern. (I will tell you that I literally have my pants  leg hem tapped up because I have not had time to sew it back together!!! Does that make you feel better!?) Your concern needs to be you.

What are you good at? What are you great at? I can guarantee that, if you're a mom,  your kids probably think the world of you. Start thinking about the things you're doing well and be confident about it!

I think we can all agree that we KNOW NO ONE has a perfect life. NO ONE. No one can have it all - not even the wealthiest, most beautiful, most famous celebrity. NO ONE can have it all. We've got to stop assuming that we're less than because someone else is seemingly greater than.

Empower yourselves, ladies! Be confident in who you are as a person, as a follower of Christ, as a woman, as a mother. So what if you're not the Pinterest Mom or the 6-Pack at 6-Months-Post-Partum Mom or the My-Kids-Play-Every-Sport Mom or We-are-Always-on-Time Mom?

Get to know and love who you are. Sure, we all have a little room for improvement and there's no harm in trying to better ourselves each day. But, at the end of the day, I can guarantee that your child does not see you for who you are not. They see you for the woman you are. You're the woman who cares for them day in and day out. The woman who tucks them in at night. The woman who comforts them when they're hurt. The woman who plays with them even when she is sick as a dog.

Take heed: You are a good mom. You are a great mom. You have strengths that I probably never will have. You have passions I will never be able to chase. You are beautiful, you are loved, and you are treasured.

I hope that made you feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment